When Is Thyroid Surgery Needed?
posted: Mar. 20, 2023.
Are you having problems swallowing? If so, you could be experiencing one of the symptoms of a thyroid problem. You may need thyroid surgery. Dr. Jahangir Sharifi and Dr. Cheryl Nocon at L.A. Sinus & Allergy Specialists in Los Angeles, CA, provide comprehensive ear, nose, and throat services, including thyroid surgery.
According to the American Thyroid Association, you may need thyroid surgery if you have:
- A nodule causing an increase in thyroid hormone production
- A nodule which is compressing your trachea, causing swallowing difficulty
- A nodule which might be cancerous
- A diagnosis of thyroid cancer
Your ENT specialist is an expert at determining if thyroid surgery is the right treatment option for you. The first step is to come into L.A. Sinus & Allergy Specialists for an evaluation. Your ENT specialists will perform a thorough medical examination including imaging studies, and blood tests.
If you do need thyroid surgery, there are a few facts you need to know:
- Thyroid surgery, also known as a thyroidectomy, is removal of part or all of the thyroid gland.
- The thyroid gland produces hormones to regulate body functions. After surgery, you may need to take medication to supplement the lost hormones.
- You may be able to return home within one day of your surgery. Recovery from surgery generally takes about two weeks.
- You should avoid straining your neck or lifting heavy objects for at least three weeks after surgery.
- After surgery, you may experience hoarseness in your voice, difficulty chewing and swallowing, and problems speaking.
For serious thyroid problems including thyroid cancer, thyroid surgery may be necessary. To learn more about thyroid surgery and how it can help you, talk with the experts. Call Dr. Jahangir Sharifi and Dr. Cheryl Nocon at L.A. Sinus & Allergy Specialists in Los Angeles, CA. You can reach them in the office by calling (323) 226-0022, so call today.